Twisted 4 patch tutorial

I love to share simple patterns that make beginners look really good! So quilt designs that look tricky but that are really simple to make fit the bill perfectly.
Here is one that is fast, fun and will make everyone who sees it go "wow, did you make this?"
It a variation on the twisted 9 patch and so I have called it the twisted 4 patch. It is a great pattern to use for fabrics with bold designs because the patches can be left quite large to show them off.

Like the 9 patch, it works for any size pieces as long as they are all the same size and they are all square. This sample uses 8 1/2 inch squares because you can easily get 4 of them out of a fat 1/4. 

Step 1
For each block cut 4 squares measuring 8 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches. Press the seams in opposite directions so you can lock the seams together at the intersection. Sew them into a 4 patch and press.


 
Step 2
Now you need to cut apart your blocks again! Measure 2 inches from the centre line and cut from top to bottom.

Rotate the blocks and repeat until you have cut the 4 squares into 9 blocks. Now you should have something that looks like this!
 
Step 3 - Rotate!  Now the fun part starts. When making multiple blocks I like to make sure that I rotate each block in exactly the same way to ensure continuity of design.
  • Centre block - rotate by 180 degress.
  • Swap the top and bottom rectangles over.
  • Swap the left and right rectangles over.
  • Leave the large squares in place
You now have a new 9 patch layout that looks like the image below.

 
Sew the rows together, and then the 3 strips together.
 
Now you have a new block! Great fun and simple to make.

 

To make a small quilt top (30 inches square) you will make 4 of these with 4 fat quarters.  It's great fun and so simple.  I hope you have fun and if you make it please Facebook me pictures. 

7 comments

  1. Thank you for taking the time do do this for every one to see.
    Hazel (Malaga)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Hazel. I wish I could do it all the time but there are never enough hours in the day 😄

      Delete
    2. My pleasure Hazel. I wish I could do it all the time but there are never enough hours in the day 😄

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a great tute Sarah. I want to make some quick and easy quilts to reduce my stash and this will be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourites, I must have made a ton of these because they are so quick and easy x

      Delete
  3. another quilt to add to the never ending to do list! I have just done a disappearing nine patch but once cut put all the piecing into a bag and pulled them out randomly and remade the blocks worked quite well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, thanks for dropping by 😄. I have made it randomly too to great effect. You just can't go wrong x

      Delete

Feel free to let me know what you think!